Friday, September 12, 2008

Terry Brown - We can’t get sympathy so let’s scare them to death instead

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

let’s think about ways to get our message out to people.

What I believe we need is a full-scale advertising campaign! Imagine Idol pausing for a station identification and seeing a guy in a suit walking into a school cafeteria, opening his jacket exposing a time bomb, and having him say, “Hello, I’m a registered sex offender. I’mhere to thank you for making it impossible for me to live in this world.” BOOM

Would only need to be a 30 second spot & it would really get the message across. I know we can get our point across in a peaceful way but I do think it will take something radical like this to do it.

From: “Lee-Lee”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:46 am
Subject: RE: Re: Adam Walsh Act

There are TONS of images and statistics that would bring home the issues in an advertising campaign that don’t involve INCREASING public fear and providing fodder for the media and political pundits.

I just don’t see the entire concept of offenders acting out against groups of innocent children. Why not against the lawmakers or Parents for Megan’s Law or the blasted media or something? Those are the people who piss me off. They are the ones causing these problems – not children.

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:10 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

my experience has been that people do not want to have sympathy for people on the registries.

They will say, “Yeah, well you should have thought about your kids crying before you decided to molest someone you damn pervert!” In their minds they easily justify the pain and misery our loved ones must endure because of our actions.

The focus CANNOT be on us or our families in terms of attempting to illicit an emotional response toward us and thus eliminating or even modifying these laws. The focus MUST be on the inherent dangers that are created when an entire group of people who are intent on doing the right things are still forced to live as outcasts.

This danger IS REAL! This is the message we must convey.

And I believe it must be conveyed in dramatic fashion.

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:47 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

Lee-Lee,

I want to clarify for the record that I am not endorsing, condoning, or in any way, shape, or form encouraging ANY group or individual to act out against ANYONE! I am simply stating that it is logical to believe that ultimately people within the RSO community, including their loved ones who face the same struggles as we, will reach their breaking point and that at that point many of those who snap will lash out against those they perceive as responsible. Of course it is logical to believe that some of their targets will be political pundits and adult neighbors who the offender believes made it impossible for them to live a normal life.

But I also believe some will lash out at the children because those are who the laws are intended to protect. It is just like in the Bible when the first-born of Egypt were sacraficed it was to send a message. I believe some sick-minded person who decides they can no longer live in a world that has condemned them will make a statement by attacking the very group of people that the laws which made it impossible for him to live were intended to protect.

This is merely a prediction. It is why I am so impassioned about this cause. I want to stop such a potential danger before it becomes a reality. I believe in my heart of hearts that is where we are headed. The beauty of this situation is that, unlike most situations of impending doom in our country, this tragedy can be stopped before it happens. This is why I am selling my company and putting the majority of the proceeds toward this cause. This is why I sleep only 3-4 hours every day. This is why I will not rest until the registries and these draconian laws are ABOLISHED!

From: “halforhope”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:04 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

Actually, didn’t that guy who kidnapped that girl and boy did it out of contempt for society due to his situation? I think he ended up killing that boy. But it’s been documented that he said he was fed up with societies condemnation of him. Granted it’s no excuse, but he’s the only example of a whack job who’s motivation may be been revenge on society.

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I’m not familiar with the case! Tragedy that it happened - but maybe we can milk it - can you give me more information on it so I can google it - or maybe a link?

From: ZMan - GA
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:45 am
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I love it personally. It would shock the crap out of people, and maybe they’ll think.

From: “Wally”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:35 am
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I don’t know. Some people might take it as a threat from SO’s and demand more restrictions. How about instead of a guy with a bomb strapped to him, it shows a man and his family living on the street in some ghetto dirt and hungry. Then the guy says “Hello, I’m a registered sex offender. I’m here to thank you for making it impossible for me and my family to live in this world.”

From: “Beverly Lanfear”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 pm
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

Even though I sent another idea…I do highly agree here, since American’s love to be “SHOCKED & AWED” now days….I say GIVE IT TO THEM!

From: “Beverly Lanfear”
Date: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:28 pm
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I have an idea….but grant it this one would never pass the muster for becoming an advertisement….You have a RSO and his family walk up to a man with long hair, a beard, dressed in a white cloak….the RSO speaks softly…Sir I am a registered sex offender my family and I have been ousted from the world, I can’t even get a job to feed my wife and children….(no other words said) the man in the white cloak opens his door and lets the family in)…well you get my drift….it could be powerful…very powerful …a million ways this could be done…as I always say “silence is golden”. It could start out with an RSO sign in the families yard….showing neighbors scorning and ousting the family from a beautiful charming home walking away on the streets, walking to the dry, scouring heat of the desert coming upon a house by a small oasis, the man of mystery opening the door and letting the family in.

From: kiokwus
Date: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 pm
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I would say this is an approach that would garner more attention than something disruptive or showing a forceful approach. I can picture this in my mind will both the heavenly scene or one that would show the same idea but in a more earthly picture. Either way you look at it, the family, homeless, brings the reality of thousands of RFSO’s under the laws imposed, and the opening of the door should move the general public of the plight we all face.

Another approach would be running parallel on the screen, the events in Germany during the ’30’s and with RFSO’s today. The loss of home and business, the marking of undesirable (GPS), the ostracizing, the hate, the turning their backs so they could not acknowledge the atrocities thrust upon their fellow citizens. I think you get the picture (hopefully).

There would be many different scenes that would show what RFSO’s aren’t.

Michael Price (kiokwus)
Roar 4 Freedom Legal Liaison

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:15 pm
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I believe that if you ATTEMPT to compare our plight with that of the Jews in Germany it will backfire!

They didn’t do anything to be condemned. Society doesn’t view us in quite the same light.

You will NEVER garner sympathy for us or our children. IMHO

Same with comparing us with Blacks in the 60’s…

From: “Wally”
Date: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:39 am
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

I too think comparing us with the Jews is a bad idea. Same with the blacks. People know we have done something to be treated this way. Jews and Blacks (in most cases) didn’t do anything other than being a Jew or Black. The public won’t buy it.

From: Jonathan merritt
Date: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:59 am
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

Unfortunately they think what we did is who we are!!

we are not seen as someone who did something bad,but bad people who did something bad.

they claim that we have a condition that we are born with an that we cant be treated.

Anti Semitism was caused by the actions of individuals within an ethnic group to justify condemnation of the entire group.

From: kiokwus
Date: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 am
Subject: Re: Re: Adam Walsh Act

What I envisioned wasn’t the why the Jews or the Blacks had done, but the parallel of the atrocities done to each group. Like it or not, this country has made it clear that RFSO’s are a subclass of people deserving whatever treatment thrown there way. It was just an example that crossed my mind.

From: “Terry Brown”
Date: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:35 am
Subject: Re: Adam Walsh Act

No insult or harm taken here, Mike - I just think that attempting to illicit sympathy toward our plight is a losing battle. I’m NOT EVEN trying to discuss my own situation in many of the forums I am speaking in and yet people insist on discussing my own situation and then condemning me personally rather than focusing on the true issue I present - community safety.

No comments: